Author Topic: Short WB FED's  (Read 28125 times)

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Short WB FED's
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 06:53:09 AM »
Chris,
         at the wheelbase that you are talking about it would probably be a good idea to have some sort of front suspension. A street rod style dropped early Ford beam axle and transverse spring would be era correct and easily sourced or you could build your own torsion bar package after reading this:  http://www.wediditforlove.com/techtalk18.html        It is probably the best story ever to explain to a newbie just what  is involved in building a car from scratch.
  As for the drive line that you are suggesting, I have no experience with that package but presume that it incorporates some sort of torque converter. If it is indeed 1:1 without any additional multiplication via a lower first gear I think that it would be more prone to slipping the converter than spinning the tires at the hit.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
Re: Short WB FED's
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 06:23:53 PM »
Babor, I agree with ROO, if you want to build a 130-140 wb FED you should have suspension, my 1963 nitro JrFuel 102 wb car had torsion bar suspension, if you're going for that late 50's look.
Motorcycle rims is all we use at Hayden Wheels to make dragster wire spoke wheels [ haydenent.com], matter-a-fact all front dragster wheels, even before Garlits are M/C rims. Now hubs are another issue, the only modified M/C hubs I have used to make dragster wheels was machined for different bearings HD trike. The most common spindles, even in 63 are Anglia, but the other option is early Ford, but not too many of the Ford hubs available. The most common wheel/ rim size is 17", but I make quite a few 18", and I have made 19", 20" and 21" wheels. So you need to figure what size/ height wheel and tire will work on your FED. When you get that far you could send me your rims and I can build you a nice set of wheels and tires

Jon Hansen, Hayden Wheels, 800-624-3803
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels