Author Topic: Shifter for glide  (Read 15359 times)

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
Shifter for glide
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:50:25 AM »
Anybody running on of these http://www.neilparks.com/chassis/shifters.htm   ?

Would love to see some more detailed photos of it ?

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
Re: Shifter for glide
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 08:37:14 AM »
I'm running one. I believe that is actually MY shifter in those pictures. It is very lightweight and you will need to "remove park" from the transmission to run one. It has a "neutral safety" switch and you can shift it manually or have it make the 1-2 gear change pneumatically.
Let me know what detailed photos you need.

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 02:50:50 PM »
hi, just wondering does it have a shifter gate / reverse lockout or just rely on the detents ?

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 04:11:01 PM »
Attached are a couple of close ups showing the pattern. The shifter is gated and is presently shown in Park. You can shift manually or pneumatically from first to second. It cannot go past second. To go into neutral you rotate the knob clockwise and push forward. It cant go into reverse unless you rotate the knob CW again and push forward. There is a detente for reverse.

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 05:04:10 PM »
B&M ratchet shifter, smack the lever mounted on the rear end housing as hard as you want and will only go  one detent and handle returns back to same spot.

Offline StigO

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6,48/210 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Gray DRCE3 500"
  • Your Track: Tierp Arena Sweden
  • Your Vehicle: Neil&Parks FED
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
The N&P shifter is a nice piece of art that's fit perfect in a FED and working flawless. Had mine for many years and love it.

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 03:46:33 PM »
Just installed mine a couple months ago.

LOVE IT

Scotty builds AWESOME stuff.  Easy to install. Fantastic to use.  Worth every penny!
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 09:41:43 AM »
B&M ratchet shifter, smack the lever mounted on the rear end housing as hard as you want and will only go  one detent and handle returns back to same spot.

Bruce I just noticed the pedal on the trans ?  is that for the trans brake ? are you driving that like a clutch ?

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 10:12:33 AM »
Good Q bruce. is that for backing up only or does your driver leave off the pedal too? 

Brendan has this on 'ol Blue' also.  I'm thinking of putting my clutch pedal back in and doing this. :)  Just have to find my clutch pedal......
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 11:10:42 AM »
I've had one of my customers running a foot operated trans brake for a while. It's neat, especially for guys running a hand brake. Also less electrical load to worry about. Just make sure you don't put your foot back on the pedal after the launch while you're in low gear.

dreracecar

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »
The Peddle is only used for backing up, driver leaves off hand brake and I set the high idle just before he pulls into the beams. Saves having to deal with a battery. Its a good thing to have if you are running a battery transbrake. Seen wires and terminals come off, batterys go dead or not charged enuff to hold. One can always step on the peddle and swap feet if they have to. My driver as it stands can jump into any fuel car and drive it without having to change routeen, or I can get a cellebrity fuel driver in there to make a pass with minimal instruction. The other side benifit is that the entire driveline is loaded for the launch. transbrake only locks the trans, but couplers,driveshafts, R&P, and axle splines, float and impact when the button is released

dreracecar

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 11:59:17 AM »
Good Q bruce. is that for backing up only or does your driver leave off the pedal too? 

Brendan has this on 'ol Blue' also.  I'm thinking of putting my clutch pedal back in and doing this. :)  Just have to find my clutch pedal......

Brendans peddle opperates a micro switch to the battery opperated transbrake solinoid.

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »
I'd love to leave off the brake with my left foot.  Best fun I had racing was with my first slingshot, 4 speed manual, staged on the handbrake with my elbow, left on the clutch wheels up with regular .00X lights banging gears.

If I could find a way of disabling the t-brake after launching the car I'd be tempted to try this.

dreracecar

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 05:04:29 PM »
There is a transbrake interface available.   Back up from the burn out, flip switch, depress TB button, release button -launch, soliniod will not activate for 1 min.

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 04:54:10 AM »
do you have a link to one please Bruce ? only one I could find was in a delay box ?  love the idea of using my left foot again  :)