Technical > Roo Man's Room

attaching upholstery

(1/3) > >>

30dodgeboy:
OK, so we have been making pretty good progress at my FED project lately.  Fiberglass seat is nearly finished and ready to trim to fit the contour of the shoulder hoop, but wait.  How is the upholstery going to attach??? I am hesitant to use the approach most used - drill the hoop and screw the snaps directly to the frame.  I am concerned first about an opening & corrosion and second to a lesser degree about the strength.  I purchased a crashed car for its parts and the upholstery holes certainly were stress risers.

A friend suggested gluing the upholstery to the fiberglass seat... but I like the idea of separating the upholstery in case it ever got rained on.

Any other suggestions?

By the way my build is a 144" car, and want it to look like they did in 1964:

dreracecar:
Way way overthinking "what could be" problems

As long as you dont have a 1000 snap holes there should be no "stress risers" with haveing snaps every 4 to 5 inches and how is enough moisture going to enter the frame with a plugged and covered hole? are you planning on leaving the car outside when it rains or snows? even then.

Zooman:
Why cant the male part of the snap buttons go directly onto the fiberglass seat?
Cool looking chassis :)

30dodgeboy:
We don't have bakersfield weather around here in the rust belt, LOL.  The humidity here can be crazy at times and we all know bare steel items corrode.  While I obviously won't be keeping this car outside in the rain or snow, I know it is possible to be caught by an unexpected downpour.  What if I wanted to wash it?  Screw threads don't seal against water wicking in.  Not trying to start an argument, just looking for some alternatives. ;)

30dodgeboy:

--- Quote from: Zooman on March 27, 2014, 01:54:09 PM ---Why cant the male part of the snap buttons go directly onto the fiberglass seat?
Cool looking chassis :)

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the compliment. 

I thought about putting the snaps onto the seat, but am looking for other alternatives.  I am not experienced at upholstery... ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version