Technical > Roo Man's Room

Coupler Cover ?

(1/5) > >>

PSweeney:
Hi Rooman, please can I have you opinion on coupler covers ?  What gauge material and how to make it neat.   Should it be a full 360 degree cover and what material should be used ?  I'd normally make something like this from 1/8" steel buit feel this would be overkill with a coupler as the risk of them coming apart and having parts flayling about like a UJ are very low. 

I was thinking maybe rolling  1/16" sheet into a horseshoe shape, flanging the sides to 90 degrees and dimpling for dzus fittings to a raised steel floorpan.  Would this be acceptable ?

ss4:
here is what I bent up by hand.  .100 aluminumn.  hand rolled U with 1" flanges and dzus to the floor.  Torch annealed before I started the shaping to avoid cracks.

PSweeney:
thanks thats exactly what i envisioned. 

ss4:

--- Quote from: PSweeney on March 11, 2014, 08:08:40 AM ---thanks thats exactly what i envisioned.

--- End quote ---

I think it turned out well, functional and user friendly.  Now what will the experts say?? LOL

PSweeney:
my thinking changed on this from being containment of the coupler to simply limiting interference with it,  ie from a boot lace or firesuit, hence I considered using lighter material but still in steel.

I like the floor pan too, I'll be doing soemthing similar but on raised pedestals as i have a fair amount of rake on the motor and a 33in tyre which puts the pinion up quite high

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version