Technical > Roo Man's Room

What make rear do I need

<< < (2/3) > >>

dreracecar:
Try and use a 742 case eaiser to set up with shims then having to deal with a crush sleeve. I also have a 4:10 gear for sale and a coupler.

JeffV8:
Bruce, I'm far from getting gears right now lol

JeffV8:
Located a 8.75 rear end housing. What olds housing ends should I get?
Also what was the standard bolt patern on 66/67 AA/FD ?? And back spacing for wheels?

I will be looking for 16" wheels but if I can't find a reasonable priced ones I will look for new nostalga looking 15" ones.

Thanks

dreracecar:
There is only 1 style OLDS housing end out there   M/W, STRANGE, MOSER  have them in stock

Around 3.5 is around the standard BS, but you also have to take into account tire sidewall bulge.
After I get back from the MM I will make some calls for you to get a measurment.

What is the overall frame width above the rear end uprites ????

rooman:

--- Quote from: dreracecar on March 05, 2014, 03:10:06 PM ---There is only 1 style OLDS housing end out there   M/W, STRANGE, MOSER  have them in stock

Around 3.5 is around the standard BS, but you also have to take into account tire sidewall bulge.
After I get back from the MM I will make some calls for you to get a measurment.

What is the overall frame width above the rear end uprites ????

--- End quote ---

Strange actually make 2 different Old housing ends. Their H 1132 is 1.32" wide  and has a round flange like an original Olds piece and the H 1142 is 1" wide with a thicker flange that is  a trapezoidal shape. All that this variation affects is the width of the blank banjo as the bearing pocket to outside dimension is the same for both. I found this out when I did Ernie Broughton's Commanche cackle car and was trying to replicate the original Don Long rear end. If you put the H 1132 ends in the lathe and turn a radius on them you can make them look just like the factory Olds ends.
 Strange lists the dimension from the housing end to the axle face at 2.8325" for GM vehicles and the package that I have here at the shop for my junior fuel car confirms that as correct for Olds ends.

Roo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version