Technical > Roo Man's Room

chassis welding question

<< < (2/2)

KeithDyer:

--- Quote from: wideopen231 on January 23, 2014, 08:25:54 AM ---I am in process of finish welding my car. I try to only go 1/4 to 1/2 way around  joint then move to next area.I think 1/4 maybe better but when a weld is going great and its so pretty its hard to stop.   I also alternate front to rear.   When a joint is finished I hit it with spray primer to help avoid missing any.   I have been told  1 amp per thousandths of material and  told er80s is tronger weld then the 70 I tacked with.Hoping mixing the two will not cause issue.    Maybe Roo can give advice here. I also try to get chassis upto 60 degrees for little while before welding on it.   Not sure how important but have heard few comments on that also and figure it can not hurt..

--- End quote ---

FWIW - Knew a guy that used a high alloy rod (1 1/4 cr) to weld his CM car together. 

When he crashed, came apart pretty easily. 

Think there is something to be said for using mild steel rod on your CM chassis, the weld puddle will be a bit more ductile. 

Also knew a guy who would torch his completed welds dull red, wrap them, and let them cool slow.  You would know his name if I mentioned it . . . . .

Take care, K

dreracecar:
The only problem with post weld heat treatment is that if done incorrectly is worse than not doing it at all and you wont find out till its too late.

wideopen231:
Roo Man,

What filler rod do you use on CM? How about temp of materail while we are asking questions.

dreracecar:
I use ER70s2
keep it sealed in tubes till I need it

rooman:
I am using ER80 but have used 70 in the past.

Roo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version