Technical > Roo Man's Room

Steering turns issue

<< < (6/8) > >>

buickfed:
if I lengthen the rods, it will make the spindle c/line higher, therefore the front end will sit higher. correct? is this a bad thing?

rooman:

--- Quote from: buickfed on January 11, 2014, 11:58:22 AM ---if I lengthen the rods, it will make the spindle c/line higher, therefore the front end will sit higher. correct? is this a bad thing?

--- End quote ---
Lengthening the rods will actually make the center part of the axle sit lower as the ends of the axle will be swinging up in an arc. Your wheelbase will also increase a bit as the spindle moves forward as well as up (say from 2 o'clock to 1 o'clock). In other words if the wheel/tire diameter stays the same and the spindle is raised relative to the lowest part of the axle the axle has to be lower for the wheels to still be on the ground.

Roo

janjon:
Ain't geometry wonderful? And widely misunderstood?

Geri:
I have P&S  steering as well, before I attached the pitman arm I rotated the steering full left to full right ,found the center and marked the steering box and shaft  next to the same spot so I know when the box is centered.
 the pitman arm cannot be straight down unless the steering box is horizontal with the ground-this means I had to have the pitman arm somewhat angled to the rear of the car so the steering box was centered as the wheels were at dead straight ahead, this allows me equal turning raduius left and right, but it's also only a 150" car.
 another issue I dont see many address is the angle of the steering arms off the front spindles.
 the proper  angle should be- draw a straight line through the center of the king pin to the center of the rear end, that string line will show you where the steering arm should attach to the tie rod.
 this ensures  the inside wheel will always turn the proper radius of a shorter turn than the outside wheel. dragsters dont turn? ever see a car a bit loose, turn to correct  and peel the front tires off? ever wonder why?

denverflatheader:
This red I sold last year to friend of mine.  If you look at right front wheel you can see steering arm does have double bend in it, possibly done to align it with rear end (what Geri wrote)???  Don’t know for sure, bought car from second owner in 2003 at chrr, then picked car up in LA on way home, his friend who was there said he had it made for him by Don Long.  That car was so smooth running down the track, straight as an arrow, no steering required.  Probably could have made a pass without a driver in it  : )  DF

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version