Technical > Roo Man's Room

Steering turns issue

<< < (5/8) > >>

wideopen231:
What I was thinking.I must have miss read post earlier on subject.Man that neve happens!

janjon:
It would seem to me that the system does not know or care what angle the pitman arm might be to the steering shaft, it cares somewhat or greatly whether it's 90 degrees to the link, with the wheels pointed straight ahead, as regards equal rates and equal travel left and right. Same with front bellcrank, if equipped.
John

rooman:

--- Quote from: janjon on January 10, 2014, 05:40:30 PM ---It would seem to me that the system does not know or care what angle the pitman arm might be to the steering shaft, it cares somewhat or greatly whether it's 90 degrees to the link, with the wheels pointed straight ahead, as regards equal rates and equal travel left and right. Same with front bellcrank, if equipped.
John

--- End quote ---

Exactly

Roo

slingshot383:
Should be able to adjust your radius rods to bring the caster in, and set it the same on both sides.  Once you've done that, recheck your toe-in, try for 1/8" in at front.

rooman:

--- Quote from: slingshot383 on January 11, 2014, 06:54:15 AM ---Should be able to adjust your radius rods to bring the caster in, and set it the same on both sides.  Once you've done that, recheck your toe-in, try for 1/8" in at front.

--- End quote ---

With most radius rod set ups it is hard to reduce the caster more than a few degrees through adjustment. Major changes usually mean longer tubes so that there is still sufficient rod end engagement in the radius rod.  The taller the axle brackets are the less effective lengthening the rods will be. With a tube axle, if the caster varies from side to side you are stuck with that variation as moving one side will move the other the same amount.
 On the subject of toe, if you run a bellcrank to turn longitudinal motion into lateral and have an articulated front end (i.e. suspension) you must run from the bellcrank to one steering arm and then from there to the other arm with a link (like an early Ford beam axle car). If you run links from the bellcrank to each steering arm and you have any significant suspension travel the bump steer (toe in-out) will be diabolical. Ask me how I know :)

Roo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version