Technical > Roo Man's Room

Mopar 8 3/4 "

(1/5) > >>

George:
Just how much power can the Mopar 8 3/4 take? In a 1500-1600# FED combo.

dreracecar:
They could take that years ago because traction  was not as good as it is todays with todays tires and the cars were much lighter. The problem is that there is Pro-Gear material  gearset available (softer to take the hit and still hold up) and you only have a hard street gear thats designed to last 200,000 miles- so now you must get them annealed a little to flex and take the impact, but then they dont last. 1500hp will get you about 20 passes (no more and maybe less).  A customer running about what you have described (PG with brake)checks it every 10 passes gets about 40 passes and carries a spare with him.

George:
The engine in the car now is a 640hp injected motor. It doesn't look like the car will sell this winter. I was planning on moving to a blown alky SBC in an altered car . The blown 377 may end up in the FED. I do have a 4.88 pro gear set in it now. I expect a 3.90-4.30 gear change if it gets the blower motor. The 8 3/4 has worked well and it's good stuff , aluminum center section, MW aluminum spool, MW drilled axles. NO doubt the Ford is stronger, I was curious as to what other FED racers have done with the 8 3/4. Thanks. George

slingshot383:
I had a 8 3/4 full floater in my '68 Woody Gilmore car, with a 408 Chrysler wedge, it went 7.90's @170 with no problems, launching off a tranny brake at 6200 - 6500, shifting at 8000.

George:
  Based on the replies , not many racers using the Mopar 8 3/4".

Thanks , dreracecar and slingshot383. George

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version