Technical > Roo Man's Room

Roo Man aluminum welding question

(1/3) > >>

wideopen231:
As you know Im working on chute body a lot like the one you built Glen.
I have it all welded up and starting to suface grind the welds some,I do ok at aluminumwleding not best by real long shot.

I have almost zero warpage,lots of tacks. Do have some buildup spots and  some blow thru. Do you just grind bottom side some and leave  or do some weldover(underside) and surface grind them. I would like to say botom is all nice and smooth and pretty,but I'm not running for office and not taking liar class'. Any pics of process on any of your might be cool.

I was thinking a Roo Man's fabricating video series would be cool and once word got out site might pic up some activity.  Yea probably huge pain. Plus no reason to give away hard learned trade secrets,right.

rooman:
I quite often make a no filler pass over the inside with the torch to level out the bead. If there are any big lumps on the inside it might pay to knock them down with a grinder or carbide cutter before making the leveling pass.

Roo

wideopen231:
Thanks a lot Roo man Same as I was thinking but never hurts to ask someone with more experiance. Again thanks.

225digger:
what tungsten are you using ?  i have been using purple lately , its been working very well with thin aluminum .

wideopen231:
using green pure. I tried the fits everything orange and wasn't real happy with it. The gree has been working fine,better than guy using it.I have gotten plnty perfect welds with it and good amount of screwups that the guy using it.

I will say I'm pretty please with how ell its going on the aluminum stuff so far.Lot better than intake went,but there I broke the golden rule of aluminum welding.Old material even with sanding and cleaning new stuff would have been lot better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version