Technical > Roo Man's Room

looking for a "once over" on the chassis

<< < (3/4) > >>

janjon:
Yep, there should be an upright placed 1" minimum to 6" max from the front cage hoop.

Why the 1" minimum away? Why not directly underneath where the front cage hoop attaches to the shoulder hoop? Is this to create some ability of the structure to deflect a bit under impact loads?

rooman:

--- Quote from: janjon on October 15, 2013, 08:36:35 PM ---Yep, there should be an upright placed 1" minimum to 6" max from the front cage hoop.

Why the 1" minimum away? Why not directly underneath where the front cage hoop attaches to the shoulder hoop? Is this to create some ability of the structure to deflect a bit under impact loads?

--- End quote ---

In a word Yes.

Roo

janjon:
I notice that L79's placement of the joints of diagonals to uprights is somewhat above and below the intersection of the uprights' joints with the longitudinal tubes, rather than forming the apexes of two triangles between two uprights. I could see how this placement could make the joints more easily weldable to the novice welder, which I am certainly one, without the difficulties of getting into "tight crotches", so to speak. With respect to my question and your reply above, could this placement afford deflection/distortion potential in the event of an impact that would be possibly beneficial to whatever soft tissue might be onboard, and would this represent best practice, or acceptable practice?

slingshot383:
Putting that upright between 1" - 6"  away instead of straight under the the intersection of the bars is to absorb some of the energy in case of an accident instead of transfering all that energy to the driver. There is such a thing as making something too strong as it relates to the transference of energy. 

wideopen231:

--- Quote from: GlennLever on October 08, 2013, 05:35:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: L79_Acadian on October 08, 2013, 05:10:10 PM ---Glen,thats a good idea,thw cable/wire chases. I think I will put a few in the upright. As far as the bar below the forward cage loop,is that bar required for a 7.50 and slower car?
  Thanks guys,
                   Roger

--- End quote ---

Roo Man's design

--- End quote ---

Not sure Roo Man takes the credit for the creation, I'm just crediting the person that introduced me to the idea.

I think it goes back a long ways and not sure who did it first.Now if Rooman wants credit for something that old who am I to argue. :)

Our first funnycar built in early 80's had them and Im pretty sure Winston Cherry was not first either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version