Technical > Roo Man's Room

Ney guy here.

<< < (5/7) > >>

dreracecar:
Its just a quicker way of fitting the diag. If one is fitting corner to corner(the aircraft way)one has to fit an uprite then diag then uprite. If both diag are fitted you will not be able to insert the diag because of its length.

PalliP:
Ofcourse, then you have to weld in some big holes if you are going to fit the dialog afterwards.  Thanks alot, you are helping me a lot.

slingshot383:
When coping the diagonals to fit the uprights, use a piece of 1/4" stock for your offset from the main tubes.  Makes the spacing consistant and gives you room to completely weld the tube. Don't forget to drill your gas holes as you go so that you don't blow out your weld.

janjon:
Regarding the advice below:

"Also at this time before you go further I would cut the shoulder hoop (between the front rollbar and the foward seat uprite) and install the inner (sleave) tubing support, Now is the time even tho you might not need it now for the spec, it might happen later or you might go up in class or sell the chassie to sombody else."

Current copy of 2.4C seems to agree with the edition you posted the diagram from. I'm a little confused as to the necessity of the interior reinforcement tube as you described.
 If I'm reading the spec correctly, the "upper frame rail" is defined as beginning 2" forward of the rear motor plate upright, and extending rearward to the vicintity of the rear end upright and the forward seat upright, at which "shoulder hoop" begins to exist, with step-up maybe required if the two entities are not one and the same, (the larger seat hoop tubing at 1-1/2 x .058).
 This would seem to allow the upper frame rail / shoulder hoop to exist as one piece, as it appears to be on PalliP's car, or to consist of as many as many as 4 individual pieces, butt-spliced and sleeved as many as 3 places.
 So I don't see why you would want to put a splice there if it's already one continuous piece meeting the spec in the case of the shoulder hoop, and exceeding it in the case of the upper frame rails???
 Is there maybe some more advanced spec that would require the splice there

Thanks for any insight,
John Williams

rooman:
John,
        Bruce's suggestion was not to add a splice as such but to enable the insertion of an inner sleeve to support the front hoop of the cage. I don't have a copy of the SFI 2.6 spec (7.5 and slower) in front of me as I build all of my cars to the 2.2 or 2.4 standard and both of those require the sleeve.  As Bruce noted' at his projected performance level and due to where he plans to compete Palli's car may not need the inner reinforcement at this time but rules "creep" is a fact of life and being a step ahead is always a good idea.

Roo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version