Technical > Roo Man's Room

Ney guy here.

(1/7) > >>

PalliP:
Hi there guys.
I have been waching here for a while and reading through your knowledge and it has helped with ideas.  I have tried dragracing With only the rallycross cars I have been competing through the years.  I have also been in formulaoffroad and I have built my rigs self, and had them working my self.  Now I am going to build me a slingshot and try the fun what you guys subscribe on my one  :)
I have built me a jig, 330 cm long to build the Cage and front of the motor.
I am going to use sbc 350 and th350 auto and a 9" ford.
1.I ordered some blueprints from Mark Williams to see how the proffs build it, are they ok to follow?
2.The drawings show a rail With no suspension front, whats Your appenion on that?
3.I want it shorter, thinkin about 160" is the suspension critical for a shorter car?
4.With that setup, would you have the motor more front and put in a driveshaft?  I am nearly 2 meters long ;) so my legs are allways in the way.
IŽll put in a photo of the jigg, as you can see it is on wheels, Iam planning to work on it home and at my work, so it is easier to move it.
Hoping to learn more from you guys, thanks alot for a good page :)
With regards
Palli P
Norway.

rooman:
Pallip,
           At 160" wheelbase I would consider using a torsion bar on the front--the shortest rigid car that I have built was 175". The Mark Williams blueprint should be a good guide but check with whatever sanctioning group that you will be running with to see what they require. I usually put the motor about 42" out (centerline of rear axle to back of block) on 200" plus cars although a little further out may help reduce wheelstands with the shorter wheelbase.
If you leave the start line in low gear with the th350 the torque multiplication will also have a tendency to make the car want to wheelstand. Apart from some Competition eliminator cars just about everyone uses a powerglide as a dragster is light enough that it will launch OK with the taller low gear.

Roo

PalliP:
Thank you for a good answer  :)
The drawing shows the width were you sit about 20", is it the "normal" Width or do you mesure Your behind for a custom mesure, then it has to bee wither on the sholder for Space for the shoulders.

Is it ok to shorten the car on the drawing and have the axle on the same place and all the tubes in Place as the drawings show!

I will bee useing twin turbo setup and stall about 3500rpm and was thinkin about launching in second, dont you think the Th350 will hold up?
I have allready built the turbo system and tryed it in a Jeep cj.
Thanks again.
Palli P

rooman:
PalliP,
         20" is pretty much a standard inside width for a shoulder hoop unless you are wide across the shoulders (like Glenn). A lot of car have some taper built in with the lower rail closer together than the top as most people are narrower at the hips (although I have seen some WalMart customers that refute that reasoning). Depending on how much you shorten the car from the blueprint you need the space the uprights and cross members to match.
  If you have not already seen the Hot Rod magazine story on the building of Ed Pink's Old Master it is worth a read as it explains a lot of the reasoning and techniques that went into building what was an outstanding car.
 Hopefully this link will take you to the article.              http://wediditforlove.com/techtalk18.html

Roo

janjon:
Way interesting article.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version