Technical > Roo Man's Room

Set-up for better 60' ?

<< < (2/8) > >>

masracingtd1167:
Once you go to injected alky you pick up a lot of tourqe this should make your converter a little looser. I think this will help some . Your tires look a little big . Try to borrow a smaller set from someone . Cajuninjector is right you need wheel speed and from what i have learned a FED need's quite a bit .Keep us posted with your progress.

Pipe Dreams:
   Had a set of used  31x13 Mickey's on the car when I first ran it. Then went to the 33x12 M& H Nostalgia top fuel tires. 60' times improved almost a tenth with the Bigger softer compound tire. I do think I need more wheel speed though as you guy's have suggested.
   The cars seemed to like low tire pressure and the wheelie set lower to help in get up on the tire. As this Picture shows I am sure that it is dead hooking. It seems to wad the M&H's up pretty good.

wideopen231:
more air.more rpm and maybe few pounds more on front end to keep it down and not transferring weight. Maybe take weight from rear and add to front 20 lbs or so would be my guess,but that all it is  a guess.

BK:
 My car is somewhat close to yours.
175 wheel base, Motor out 31, Car is stiff with a torsion bar, Iron head 355 SBC, Injected Alcohol, 182 first gear, 5200 converter, leave around 3,000 rpm, 4.10 rear, 14x32 M Ts, 4lbs air, Tried more didn't help, 76" wheelie bar from axel c/l, Never weighed it, At least 30# on the nose.
 Its gone as quick as 8.45 1.14 60'. But not consistantly. It hits the wheelie bar and unloads the rear tires. I found if I slow it down to 8.60 1.25 60' with a pnumatic cylinder and a needle valve it,s deadly consistant. Good enough to bracket race.

rooman:
I agree with the comments that a little wheel speed at the launch might be a good idea. On Mark Vaught's car we run the bar around an inch off the ground (6' long bar) and the bar has enough flex that the front wheels are usually about 6" up. If we run the bar too high the car rotates too quickly, any lower and it will smoke the tires before it get up on them.

Roo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version