Drag Racing Discussions > Altereds

Do I need a wing?

(1/2) > >>

BK:
Some basics for you to work from
120" Altered, 4 link, ridged front
23 T body. Rear tires are exposed. It's the body that the rear deck is a little higher the tire.
1700#s with me in it. 1100#s on the rear.
15x33 Slicks
630 hp small block
Runs 1.12 60s, 5.20s eighth mile at 130 mph. very consistent.
When the sun is out the car is fine. Straight, consistent does just what you would expect.
As soon as the sun gets a little lower in the sky, say below 45deg. the car becomes a handful. 60s hold up but it starts slipping and sliding down track. Pretty sure the tire is spinning.
And I seem to be the only one with this problem so I'm not thinking track.

Calkins:
All I'll say is, Bryan Hall won the March Meet in the Tramp with a 5.987 @ 240.85 on a 13" tire with zero downforce...

BK:

--- Quote from: Calkins on August 14, 2022, 08:37:28 AM ---All I'll say is, Bryan Hall won the March Meet in the Tramp with a 5.987 @ 240.85 on a 13" tire with zero downforce...

Thats why I question the need for a wing.
I thought about a narrower tire maybe helping.
--- End quote ---

Calkins:
I ran the car in my profile photo in 2001 at a local 1/8th mile.  My best pass was a 5.77 @ 118.  We were using used TAFC slicks from a local team.  So, I would guess they were 16" or 17" wide.  I believe this was in October.  During time trials, the car seemed to run fine.  Come first round, the sun was going down, and the dew was coming in.  I specifically remember the shift light staying on at the 1-2 shift for the rest of the pass.  It is still my belief that I was spinning the tires most of the run due to the dew under the very oversized tires for the combination we were running.

JEFF/21C:
For the most part when dew falls the track gets slick we were running 10wx33x15 it would affect us more than the  heavier door cars.
have you posted any pic's of your car?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version