Drag Racing Discussions > Altereds

Thoughts on cooling systems

<< < (2/3) > >>

dusterdave173:
Idling back up the return road etc the unit is Rich and Cool--If you are lapping then yup cool her off but I never had cooling drove mine around like I did  and never had an issue--You can't get stuck behind someone blocking the lanes--I used the throttle as a Horn--rump! rump! get out of the way!
Cooling system? then you have water under the tires if you hurt it--or in your face

JEFF/21C:
Had a rad, fan and a aluminum water pump running a half speed  when the fed ran on gas switched to alky  removed the fan and rad ran a hose between the inlet and outlet  had to shut the motor down waiting in line did burn-out ran and returned no problem temp dropped going down the track. no problem making back to back runs

lake_harley:
BK....I'm concerned about cooling and have posted in a thread in the FED section about bracket racing a FED. By what I've found searching online, the Honda Civic radiator ('92 to '00 something?) is about 14" X 16" or 17"....is that about the size of the radiator you're talking about? I'll be running a mild 305 Chevy on gas and want to be able to "lap" it, rather than having to tow it back. I figured I'd run a electric pump and fan to cool between rounds as needed. Picture(s) of your arrangement would be great if you could post a photo or two.

Thanks

Lynn

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER:

--- Quote from: dusterdave173 on February 12, 2022, 06:31:26 AM ---...I used the throttle as a Horn--rump! rump! get out of the way!

--- End quote ---
All my race cars have a small motorcycle horn. Sometimes spectators are oblivious to a race car approaching frombehind, and even less aware that there could be cooling / fouling issues if the car is left idling while they saunter down the lanes.
Likewise, I have two small headlights for night racing for the same reason.

Curly1:
I built several of my cars with the Honda style aluminum radiators. You can get them on Ebay cheap and they are nice. I do run a fan with a thermostat controller so when it gets temp I want fan comes on. I can turn it off when I want to build heat. On my new car I put a oil cooler type radiator but have yet to try it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version