Technical > Roo Man's Room

mounting a solid front axle

(1/2) > >>

225digger:
anyone have some pics on how they are mounting a solid front axle    ?  originally i was going to go with a tripod setup , but decided to go with a drop axle that is pretty short , around 26" width  i see a good bit of cars with a short front axle and no other bars or rods holding the axle at the ends , im curious if anyone has some pics on how they mounted the front axle into the lower frame rails .  im also going to extend the frame alittle forward of the front axle so i can mount a nose to the car

thanks

Blind Mule:
Glad to see I'm not the only one that has a narrow solid front axle ;) Actually it looks pretty simple!

Randy

225digger:
i like the old style torsion bar setups , but i want new stuff and i guess i compromised with the drop axle , im getting it from SW race cars ..... i also have there blue prints and it just bolts to the front of the frame rails and thats it , but id like to maybe incorporate it into the lower rails , i have an idea of how i can do it just like to see what other guys are doing

rooman:
I will try to post some photos later today of how I have been doing it, although I am looking at a bracket package for the future rather than the saddle deal that I use now.

Roo

225digger:
i had an ed quay  RED a few yrs ago , it had a striaght front axle that was mounted into some plates on the upper rail , and then it had 1/2 tubing going from the lower rail to the bottom of the axle , it was a real simple setup . so im thinking of some how mounting the axle in some plates but onto the lower rail , i guess its one of those things i wont know what im doing until its all in the jig and im laying pipe .

also , roo , curious im building to 2.2c specs ,  on the rear up rights ,  im going to go the 3/16th plate route , in the book it says it must wrap a 1/4 around the upper and lower frame , does this mean i need to wrap that 3/16th around the rails ?  i see alot of other designs where the plates just end at the upper and lower tubes and do not wrap around .  that part confuses the heck out of me .

im getting real close to starting to bend this thing up . i should have my floater next week from strange , already have everything else , i get some surgery in 2 weeks and need to be on light duty so im hoping the week that im off i can build the majority of this frame .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version