Technical > Roo Man's Room

Steering ratio.

(1/3) > >>

gtpete:
hello. I've finished installing the steering box and I'm now on the steering arms. Question, I'm thinking I would like from the straight ahead position 1/2 to 3/4 turn at the butterfly for 35/40 degrees of wheel movement. Would this be abit to quick ?? What do you guys run ? Thanks Pete.

rooman:
With a Strange or P & S box the normal length for the pitman arm is 5". Are you running a bell crank or steering direct to the spindle?  On my dragsters with a Strange box and steering off the spindle I use a 5" arm there as well. If you do it that way and run a single tie rod between the spindles the length of those arms is not relevant and can be anything that puts the tie rod where you need it for clearance etc.

Roo

dreracecar:
Gross overthinking the situation,  First off is this a dragster or F/C-altered , second is that you don't want quick steering since you are making minor corrections to the wheels as it is going down the track, Too quick and you will over-correct and create more problems for yourself. We took 5 of the most popular steering boxes apart and found out that they all had different ratios to start with. Just keep the 5 x 5 and don't worry about it. Although I prefer to incorporate Ackerman in the spindle arms to keep the tires from skidding in the turn outs

gtpete:
Thanks for the replies. Its a 105/110" FED with an 66 Mustang steering box.

dreracecar:
Using a production car steering box puts your inquire out of my level of expertise

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version