Technical > Roo Man's Room

Moving Engine Forward

(1/3) > >>

BK:
 I've decided I'm going to move the motor forward in my FED. Going to a long glide will move it out about 10 inches. Do I need to add an upright at the motor plate? I see cars, usually Altereds that have done this and the motor is out there with out an upright.

rooman:
It is always a good idea to have an upright under the rear motor plate. If you are moving it out 10" I would also add a diagonal to the bay between the new and old uprights.Some sort of support (upright or diagonal) in the vicinity of the new front motor mount location would also be good.

Roo

rooman:
Steve Morgan just brought up a valid point. If your top rail steps down at the original motor location to a size below that required in the spec that your car is certified for you will have to rework the frame rails as well to be able to get the car to certify. Depending on the certification level that rail needs to be either 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" to a point at least 2" in front of the upright. The lower rail needs to be  1 1/4" minimum at the same point. The new upright will have to be a minimum of 1 1/4" x .049 no matter what the spec level.

Roo

BK:
Thanks for the reply. Excellent points that bring up more questions. Would sleeving the proper size tubing from the existing weld forward be acceptable? There is a diagonal in the bay where the motor plate will end up. Would having the diagonal through the upright achive the same result as having it in the bay behind?

rooman:
Can you post some photos of the chassis layout (side view). It would help to see what you are working with.

Roo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version