Technical > Roo Man's Room

suggestions for drive shaft protection

<< < (2/3) > >>

noslin:
it will be for coupler setup. 

interesting on the wall thickness between u-joint and coupler; .125 steel vs .063 alum.  i can see having the .125 steel for u-joint as i imagine one of those would do some real damage.  the 063 alum surprises me as i would not think this would hold anything.

i found 'nitrodriveline' URL but it is dead for Rob Moore.  seen a few things on McKenny's website from him.

so, is there a v-band collar being welded to the third member and to the trans tail cone?  im not running a shorty glide, has tail cone.

ty
dean

rooman:
Mark's car has a shorty kit and a Strange Ultra center third member. Robs package comes with a V band flange to bolt to each of those. The one for the third member is a pretty complex piece of machining as the 12 bolts that hold the pinion support are recessed, requiring raised bosses on the adapter. I presume that he also has an adapter for a standard 5 bolt pinion support but I don't know about a regular tail housing 'glide.

Roo

noslin:

--- Quote from: rooman on October 31, 2017, 05:16:16 AM ---Mark's car has a shorty kit and a Strange Ultra center third member. Robs package comes with a V band flange to bolt to each of those. The one for the third member is a pretty complex piece of machining as the 12 bolts that hold the pinion support are recessed, requiring raised bosses on the adapter. I presume that he also has an adapter for a standard 5 bolt pinion support but I don't know about a regular tail housing 'glide.

Roo

--- End quote ---

sounds like a really nice setup.  my thought is/was to use prob 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 inch alum tubing probably;  whatever i can find with proper OD to slide over PG.  make two piece setup where one slides inside the other.  weld a mount to the tube in front of third member to hold back piece.  maybe make a band to go around tube that attaches to the mount.  or maybe use steel like .125 wall and make something that way.

i have 12 bolt strange ultra center section.  its a nice unit.

do you have contact for Rob Moore's or pictures of setup?  the mount to third member sound real nice. 

ty
dean

hotrodpete:
after looking at the cowl Roo is talking about it got me thinking. The light aluminum may keep pant cuffs from getting caught up but that's about all. 
I went with Neil and Parks, they have a cone that has the 5 bolt flange and they weld an aluminum pipe to it. they use a .125 and a .250 dia by I believe 4 inch. the outside of the .250 is then turned down so one slides over the other to be able to tighten the shaft clamps.  The front mount is still undecided but I was told not to mount it to the chassis, the trans is a better choice due to movement. there is not a lot of clearance on the couplers.
It all sounds good but it is in transit so until I have it hands on I am unable to get photos.

GlennLever:
This is why you want to do the shield right, this shield was done right and is the way mine is gone. I will be upgrading it over the winter. There is also one lucky guy, just grazed his shin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version