Technical > Roo Man's Room

How much ballast needed on a 60's FED?

<< < (2/4) > >>

gregm784:
When i was learning to drive my car, i carried a lot of weight to help the steering.  I'm down to a 360# front axle weight now and it leaves nice. I've tried 330# and it hits the bar so hard it would unload the tires and the 60' numbers went down .040. 

Mister_Fitz:
The rear end has a spool. The FED is all updated to the latest SFI spec. The "old" thing about the car is the engine placement that is way back. Shorty PG with coupler direct into the rear end.
I think we are quite good on backing the car up straight. I agree that it will make a big difference.
Roo. I agree that adding weight will not fix the real problem. I will try it next race and hopefully I can remove it later on.
When adjusting tire pressure to get the right traction and wheel speed. How small pressure adjustments will have impact? Is lowering pressure by 1 psi at the time a too big change?

Skickat från min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk

JrFuel Hayden:
Yes a one pound difference will make too big of a change. We only made a 1/4 # difference from side to side. 

racerken:
I enjoy the driving side more than the mechanical side so I don't profess to be very technical.  All I know is that I have a 185" Boogie Scott FED (Hall of fame chassis builder)  He says not to run a spool. I run 8.70"s 150 mph straight as a string..  Also,  about 15 years ago I bought  a Mark Williams car from a friend of mine. He never knew which direction the car would go in when he launched.  I put my motor in it and took the spool out and never had an issue going straight.  Like I said,  I can't tell you why,  I am only sharing my experience,  for what it's worth.

dreracecar:
The open diff is masking problems with either the chassis or rear end housing. And I have run mis-matched tires with a spool, and the car still went straight

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version