Technical > Roo Man's Room

6 point harness

<< < (2/2)

dreracecar:
The rule is a carry over from the rear engine rules, they put these things in to appease the insurance companys to make it seem proactive.

In 7.0Pro a stop collar is required on the steering shaft is case of a front end colision to keep the shaft from spearing the driver---WTH!!!!! , but not required in any other front engine dragster class rules including top fuel. Do you think that if the crash is sooooo bad that the engine-transmission-rearend come back that far to contact the steering box that a CS stop collar is going to do anything??

rooman:
Bruce,
         many years ago (when there were still some racers at NHRA) Carl Olson would send me the draft copy of the new rule book and I would proof read it and weed out things like the stop collar on a front motor car. At one point the rules for the advanced e.t. motorcycles filled a page and a half and some of the stuff was totally bogus and unenforceable. By the time I got done with it it was down to the current single paragraph.
  Once Carl left, followed by Jim Skelly, I was out of the loop and they go blithely on their way with the sort of thing that you pointed out. You are totally correct about the 'appease the insurance company" situation which is the main reason for the 20 lb fire bottle rule in blown front motor cars. And even though  several drivers of big show T/F cars have been scorched by fires there is still no fire bottle requirement except in the case of an enclosed cockpit and then the minimum size is only 5 lbs.

Roo

Larry Gocha:
Thanks Bruce and Rooman its crazy I know compared to a Fuel or Pro Stock bike safety wise.

rooman:
Larry,
         I actually liked the extra security of the (in my case) 7 point belt deal. I would much rather have the belts tugging on my upper thighs than on other parts of my anatomy in the case of an incident and my new wife (as of yesterday) would probably agree.  :)

Roo

Larry Gocha:
I'm all for safety Roo just wasn't sure how they wanted them mounted. Congratulations

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version