Author Topic: M-5 Wow!  (Read 4894 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
M-5 Wow!
« on: November 06, 2016, 05:41:12 AM »
We raced yesterday at the Southeast Gasser Finals in Greer SC--Great day--near 5000 paying fans--could not have been better--four of us dragster guys were invited to run as exhibition-  we all have run together all year and there was a lot of good natured desire to crush the other guys so...the nitro came out--my pals were all dosing with a little of the good stuff--they were running best personal ET's all day--last race of the year use the fuel and use up the tired engines all for fun and glory--well...I am still running regular M-1 alky and they were making it look like fun so...I did not add any nitro but did make a pass with some of the VP M-5 alky--Wow! I usually run 5.60 in the 1/8th--first pass it went 5.45- my best with my plain little 355 CI  Engine sounded better on start up--had more balls during burnout and overall just felt great! No change in tune up just poured it in and let her rip! Me likey!! So...I dreamed all night about a dose of the real stuff---my engine is 13.6 CR  can I do a 10% load? Can I do more? Give me a general guide to stepping into the world of nitro---that M5 was like crack--I want more!!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
Re: M-5 Wow!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 07:20:09 AM »
I really like m5. It does put a smile on your face. It also responds nicely to tuning changes. Much beter than m1 but at a cost...
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline WhiskeyRebel

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 10.32
  • Your Engine: Just a baby 355
  • Your Track: Northern Lights Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1966 slingshot used to be Double Trouble with twin ford straight sixes
  • General Location: British Columbia, Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 07:54:44 AM »
I've been tossing the idea around of switching to alcohol. Mine is a very mild 355 though. Gotta tear it down and see whats in it. Previous owner had it built as a low maintenance reliable small block so my guess is maybe around 300-350hp. Running 6.2x in the 1/8 and 10.32 in the 1/4. Wouldn't mind 9's.

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.45 @ 182 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: NA Injected 505 BBC on 45%
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Washington Coast
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 05:53:06 PM »
 This is probably better addressed by Spud at FIE but I'll throw in my experience here though I run a BBC. The static compression vs dynamic compression is affected by cam duration (intake closing point), cylinder heads, etc, how it breathes. 10% should not be an issue, at 33%+ things start changing. I have found that each 10% is worth about .1 seconds. I only have experience up to 42%/methanol not M-5, 33% was the same tuneup as methanol. I started a couple of steps fat and a couple degrees retarded on timing and ultimately came back up to my original tuneup for my combination. My suggestion is to read Spuds Nitro Notes on his web site, buy a hydrometer and talk to Spud . Also as you add more nitro you make more torque so you will have to deal with that maybe. If you start down this path you won't want to go back.
Mark S

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 09:30:57 AM »
Yea I have started reading Spuds deal and will contact him for sure--he did a mag for me this year Great Service!!
ONE dose of a hot fuel--picked up tenth and half in the 1/8th and I am HOOKED!! The guys around me were mixing several year old "charity donation" nitro by volume and just letting her eat--nobody had the least bit of trouble---One guy ran about 50% load one pass and just blistered the track--he was tuned on the money for it and had plenty of experience but the rookies were pouring it in and pouring it on !!!
I have a 355 CI over 13 to 1--short duration roller like 255-260 at 050 ( old circle track cam on a 106 in at about 103)
pitiful set of street aluminum heads that flow about 255 maybe...a 2 3/16ths Hilborn with Enderle 0 pump  Have had a 75 pill in for almost two years and have Never changed the pill--I start up drive to the line--run--then drive back even on ling quarter mile runs--never had cooling issue so I know I must be fat but--plugs always look fine--engine starts easy runs same ET in any weather  5.58-5.61 are the only slips I have ever had until I dropped that M5 in and went 5.45 --I short shifted or it may have run even better--WISH it had been a quarter mile pass--Plugs looked like they had seen some heat that one pass--headers still had some "tack"inside the pipes  got back to the pits and was mid 180's
So...Thinking and dreaming about some real nitro
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 02:23:51 PM »
I have been running the M5 on and off for the last couple of years and I am very happy with the way it works in my car ! I would say it is good for a tenth or  more ! The only thing I don't like is the smell ! It stinks really bad !