Author Topic: Fuel Top Lube Question--had issues Sat at Track Help  (Read 6441 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Fuel Top Lube Question--had issues Sat at Track Help
« on: September 26, 2016, 08:27:59 AM »
OK car has been running like a top --near perfect so what do I do--take fuel system all apart to clean out as she was going to sit for a month--did my same routine blow out , WD40 then blow-- alls well.
Fueled up out of my sealed drum --accidentally added too much top lube but figured what the heck
Got to track, fired up and she was burning my eyes--never does that and it was a  off but.....get in the water and she falls flat on her face no power just weird--get back to the pits and my dumb self had main bypass in backwards--OK swapped it around --sure sounds better--go back up and she was still flat--fell on her face--limped down--loaded up came home so..
Today--new plugs --old ones slightly fouled and couple were just black--fresh fuel out of same drum NO top lube--she lights right off runs and sounds normal--Whew!!
So was it the plugs second time ?? Or plugs and fuel with too much top lube?? What happened?
Rookie needs schooling  Thanks in advance!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: Fuel Top Lube Question--had issues Sat at Track Help
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 09:14:13 AM »
I have not had issues using top lube in my car, I use one container to a 55 gallon drum. Sometimes I don't have a bottle of lube to put in the new drum so I will run the weekend without lube than once it arrives I just dump it in the drum usually 20 gallons less fuel in the drum. What was the DA at Salt Lake compared to your normal?

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 11:53:37 AM »
If having to guess I would say combination.Too much fuel,too ,much lube that probably killed a plug of two.I have had plugs that look good that would not run and once swapped for new set was back to normal.One rerason I always put one new plug per side and work backwards.max of 4 runs on plugs and I always have a new one to read and can keep check on cylinder to cylinder burn.Used plugs go into warmup set and I rotate them out same way.Cost in minimal compared to loosing cpl runs or whole weekend.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 12:37:53 PM »
Thanks
I tend to agree after going through it all--the plugs had been in for about 4 weekends and so after they were fouled --some pitiful-some looked ok--- but she sounded crisp with new ones
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 04:05:12 PM »
Have never used the stuff in my entire 40 years of racing so I have no answer for your issue

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 05:21:46 PM »
fresh plugs after the initial screw up solved the problem
thanks for helping

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 05:46:54 AM »
With the risk of being called cheap (or old school), I'll ask:

Any chance that a quick filing could revive those plugs? (restoring spark and enabling it to reach self-cleaning temperature again)

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 06:10:58 AM »
we use to glass bead our spark plugs to clean them and give us a second go around at reading plugs

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 07:41:48 AM »
The NGK's I have been using --I get from Ebay for about $20 delivered--they have been lasting a long time but I am guessing my screw up with the main bypass ruined this set--I am so glad that all it took was fresh set of plugs to fix my issue
I am guessing that my helper added a double dose of top lube looking at the bottle--I was just panicked over the wk end--lost an outing at the track --relieved to be back to normal--should have popped a new set in at the track but just got flustered--I have never had to work on a car at the track in almost 30 years of racing--always took lot of pride in that fact --so a little screw up just clobbered me
Thanks for all the comments and help!

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 08:05:10 AM »
In your defense, I'll quote what a college girlfriend used to tell me: "extra lube won't hurt!"   ::)

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 06:36:32 PM »
You can use a propane torch to clean up spark plugs. Heat it up until it stops smoking and turns a little red and there clean. Just never had to do it for my racecar.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »
I don't use top lube. I change 1 & 6 plugs before the start of a new day/race. NGK have been consistent in the burn on the ground strap. I tune by the looks of those 2 cylinders and a thermocouple in # 6 cylinder. I am in a sweet spot and haven't changed the tune-up for several races.