Classifieds (Please No Dealers) > Wanted to buy

SBC roller cam

(1/2) > >>

Roger:
Need a solid roller camshaft for a small block Chevy. At least 260* duration @ .050” and at least .600” lift. Will only be used to clearance a 383 Chevy build so the cam doesn’t have to be perfect (no wiped out lobes!). Trying to decide if I need to order a new reduced base circle cam or not.

Frontenginedragsters:
Roger:
 One mans opinion: Don't use a small base circle camshaft. They are prone to twist and flex.
Find connecting rods that are 383 friendly.

Matt

dreracecar:
Small base circle needed for alu rods. make sure its a tool steel billet and you will not have problems

Roger, have you ever measured a small base circle cam to see how much it flexed or twisted???

dusterdave173:
I agree --you use bigger cam cores to get a hundredth from a SS/ AA Hemi maybe and it is the answer if you want an A on the test but thousands of SBC's run with .900 base to clear rods and crazy stroker combos--no issues--we order all cams as .900 base so they will clear any combo any time even aluminum rods now and in the future  ther is usually std base, small base for street 383 cmnbos etc and then .900 base that makes life easy for all

Roger:
Thanks for the input Matt, Bruce, and Dave. This is a gas burning engine using a set of SCAT stroker rods. SCAT told me they would clear the cam but that I really should check to be sure. I found a used cam on Ebay similar to what I need and will use it to check rod-to-cam clearance. My application will need a custom ground cam and I want it to be a regular base circle but before I sink $400 into the cam I want to be xxxx sure it will clear. $69 for the used cam and shipping is cheap insurance. Don’t know how much the difference in diameters would affect the resistance to torsional twist, but a larger diameter has got to resist twist better simply because of the additional mass. Also looking at the higher contact load between the cam lobe and lifter that occurs as the lobe gets a smaller radius with a reduced base circle and the resulting potential wear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version