Author Topic: Tunnel ram bird catcher sbc set up.  (Read 7179 times)

Offline imcamod17

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Muncie Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 200" Hal Canode FED
Tunnel ram bird catcher sbc set up.
« on: December 26, 2015, 07:28:21 AM »
I am looking to add a Enderle bird catcher and a tunnel ram on alcohol to my small block chevy 355. I have Diamond pistons, ultra light Eagle crank and rods,  will have Afr heads on it also. What fuel pump do I need, an 80A?, and how do I run the water pump if the cam drives the fuel pump? Can I run this set up on gas? How hard is it to tune? Just feelin around to see if I want to make the invesment or stay with a carburetor.  Would a bird or bug be better? I like the looks of the bird. Thanks  Merry Christmas :)

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: Tunnel ram bird catcher sbc set up.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 08:49:42 AM »
Not to sure how well a bird would work N/A on a SBC. I think you would have very touchy throttle with how much air opening you have I know on a blown SBC they are touchy with a bird.

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 09:34:47 AM »
A bird looks out of place on a SBC unless you like those old weirdo monters t-shits. An 80a is plenty of pump. Generally for an injected motor water is not needed unless you drive it to staging and back to the pits after the run. If you do decide to run water, Performance motorsports sells the "River Rat" waterpump that goes between the cover and the fuel pump as a 4" extention, You will have to take it apart and remove every other impeller to slow the water down tho. they are expensive @ $500 but are well worth it in the long run as far as engine longevity and simplicity as they work only with the motor running and no wires or battery needed.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 09:40:20 AM »
agree birds not best for sbc.I have oppisite reason in one way.I have been messing with this type of injection for 30 plus years.I have noticed larger injectors hurt throttle responce and not best for consistency.IMO if you could get a bug it would work best.

Backup for thoughts.I have seen plenty of the Rons run right with enderle and have lot less opening.I build a flat injector using bidrcatcher shaft and 2 of the 3 butterflys and it worked great.Just so happens that real close to open area of a bug cathcer.

Not saying the bird will not work ,it will. Just that IMO its not the optimal choice.If can't get bug then run it and have fun.

On water side .I don't normally run one.If you need to few options .Belt drive and electric.I used a 12v electric motor home pump for cpl years before I saw the light and went to injection and it worked fine.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 09:42:37 AM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 11:32:16 AM »
How were you able to measure the throttle responce differences?
 More than likely a trans-brake launch instead of dead idle so (IF) any throttle responce difference can be tuned out with ET

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 11:41:25 AM »
Another option for driving the fuel pump would be a belt drive . It will mount the pump lower so it will hold a prime much easier and you can bolt your electric water pump to the front of the motor . My pump is in the lower left side of the picture . I agree that the bird catcher might be too big and make the throttle very touchy

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 03:08:28 PM »
its so simple

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 03:18:09 PM »
its so simple

But not so inexpensive.
My Dart all iron SBC hasn't shown the need for coolant ( 1/8 mile and pull it back). Very simple.

dreracecar

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 04:30:51 PM »
Difference being all aluminum, blown and running 1320 ft in 7.0pro. my heads lasted 18 years without having to surface them