Technical > Roo Man's Room

welding ?

<< < (2/4) > >>

rooman:
The only problem brake clean is the chlorinated stuff and that has been legislated out of existence.

Roo

dreracecar:
Chrome Moly is an alloy and copper is one of them.

As far as brake clean,, clor or non-clor I learned not to use it,  who knows what chems the next supplier will use to manufacture it.

pablo:
I am a welder and use brake cleaner frequently in my shop.  The danger is using brake cleaner with chlorine in it.  The ultaviolet radiation from a welding arc will cause phosgene gas.  Phosgene gas was used in trench warfare in WW1.  Just be sure to use non-chlorinated brake cleaner (usually in a green can) and marked in an obvious place on the label and avoid the chlorinated brake clean (usually in a red can) and you will be fine.  If you accidentally use the chlorinated stuff you will know immediately because of the smell that most describe as the smell of new mowed hay.  If that happens quit welding and air out the shop and you will be fine.

Mrs Esterhouse:
Thank you for the reply's, I used a new scotch brite disc to get it shiny and then wiped it down with non chlorinated brake clean.  My first 3 or 4 welds are real good but then my arc starts to wonder, and my tungsten is contaminated. Not sure what I am missing.

pablo:
Be sure you have enough postflow because if you don't your tungsten will oxidize. You can see if it has if it turns black.  10 seconds should be enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version