Technical > Roo Man's Room

Engine location

(1/2) > >>

beargeorge:
Front engine dragster, 180 inch w.b. BB Chev.powerglide long or short? M.W. modular rear,my question is how far out should the motorplate be from the rearend centerline. This is a new build

dreracecar:
My car is 193" and the motor is out 39", the lenth of a full glide where one uses 1 set of couplers. Only issue is that motor and trans come out as a single unit, but they payback is less cost and no driveline slop.
 Others will get into dynamics and front end weight of different setups , but is all a load of crap, every car -engine combo - track and type of racing we do can have a different sweet spot for optimum performance and honestly anything can be tuned to get down the track.
 For me personaly I try to refrain from getting the engine too far out, gets the engine more centered between the wheels so the engine bounces up and down if you bang it with the transbrake going into stage so weight transfer gets confused because the engine is in motion. I like hanging weight on the front as it makes the car try and drive underneath the front thus helps plant the rear tires. If you are not running a PRO (non-index ) class it does not make any difference, one just makes enough HP to run under the index and adjust accordingly to hit the number.
  I have a customer that was all scientific about engine location on his A/F car. Spent a ruddy fortune on tires, gear ratios, trans and converters and racing all kinds of tracks, still cant get it to stop shaking

beargeorge:
Thanks Bruce for your help.

George:
Our car has the engine placement in the same location as Bruce's car with a SBC and full length PG and coupler. It is a 223" car, probably 1700 # wet with driver. Certified to 6.0

beargeorge:
Thanks for your reply,nice car

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version