Technical > Roo Man's Room

Frame question

<< < (2/2)

rooman:
Andrew,
            apart from the frame layout I can see another problem. The seat belt mount bolt is tilted the wrong way. With the driver in the car the belt should pass across the hip and angle back at approx a 45 degree angle (depending on seat configuration). A better install would have a tube running from the lower rail to the diagonal to achieve that. As it is now the belt basically holds the driver down but not back in the seat. Also the crotch belt mount is way too far forward to be effective.
  Has this car ever been certified?  Neither of the photos show enough of the lower bay to see if there is a diagonal but there is obviously not a "K" in that area and even the spec for 10 seconds and slower calls for one or the other. That said, I think that the non contiguous lower rail is a deal breaker as the junction is in the "spec" area of the frame.

Roo

andrewb:
Hi Roo,

Not sure if it’s ever been certified in the past. Yes, there are several changes that need to be made, many of which you pointed out.

To your last statement that the junction is in the spec area of the frame and is non-contiguous. I’ve read most of the SFI Chassis specs as well as the General Regs numerous times and haven’t found anything stating that this design is not permissible. Can you point me to where I’d find information regarding this?

Thanks,
Andrew

andrewb:
If i'm reading the second sentence below right, which is found in all SFI Chassis Roll Cage specs. Anything other than the upper roll cage can be repaired.

II. Basic Construction Practices

9. No components may be clam-shelled in order to satisfy nominal outside diameter or nominal wall thickness requirements. Roll cage components (#1) above the upper frame rails (#4) may not be repaired by splicing, patching, clam-shelling, etc. according to generally accepted aircraft repair procedures.

Andrew

dreracecar:
No where in the spec does it say that the lower rail has to be continuous all the way to the rear. Its not the way its normally done or the way the picture spec shows it, but I dont find it that bad. The rail and cross member although welded without an inner sleeve is still supported buy another tube welded on top and the offset welding of the rear bottom rail is so close that for structure it did not lose enough to make a difference. It was prob done to keep the rails close together with out bending them back to a real narrow R/E housing. As long as the required tube dia and wall thickness meet minimums that junction should pass

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version