Technical > Roo Man's Room

Killer Tire shake Need Help.

<< < (4/6) > >>

JrFuel Hayden:
I agree with Bruce, those tires are too big for your combo/ HP, and not enough launch RPM to get "up" on the tires.
I don't know the compound of your tires, but the size is the size Pro Stock run, and they are shifting twice as much as you, so the compound is likely to be softer that what you should be running. Pro Stock launches, hooks, shifts, hooks, shifts, hooks, shifts. With a PowerGlide you to need to keep the tire speed up so the slicks don't pull the motor down below your power range.
i just called Dennis Murphy that races a blown alky 426 style Hemi, with a PG in NHRA Heritage A/FD, he is the only guy I know that runs a PG, all the rest of the A/FD run Lenco, with either a clutch, CrowerGlide, or converter. Dennis uses a 9" converter, 33x14.5x15 GoodYears with 4.56 rear gear and a 1.58 1'st gear, running about 1700 hp and 6.40's at 220 mph. The other fast teams use N/TF 12" wide 16" M&H tires with good non-shake most of the time runs. Like Bates/ Adams injected nitro early Hemi runs 6. teens and their best MPH is 230mph acouple of weeks ago in Sonoma Ca. One of the other fast A/FD's is Bill Wayne running a blown alky Alan Johnson Chevy, also running the N/TF 33x12x16 tires, but with a converter. The exception is Davenport, the 2014 Champion, racing his 369 ci Late Hemi, and 33x15x15 tires. You see the Heritage rules have a fuel pump limit, and Davenport is very smart building a small motor to better match the fuel pump. 
What you might try now is lower the tire pressure to 5 or 5 1/2 to reduce the bite, but I don't think that's your long term combo. You can also try some of the smaller 12" M&H, they make a couple of the 12" NTF tires, that way you don't have to buy new 15" rims, which will give you allot more options. But you may need to contact your wheel guys to see if they can narrow you wheels to what the tire guys say will work with your combo.
Did you break your wheelie bar because of tire shake or because the front end came up fast and hard there-by unloading your slicks, if so put at least another 40 lbs on your front end. I have often suggested to other racers to add some front weight and they do run quicker.
In our Heritage JrFueler we had bad tire shake a few years ago, and broke our rear motorplate, steering, fire bottle mount, and a winshield. We have fixed most of the shake by adding more tubing in the chassis between the rear motor plate and the rear end because we think the chassis was moving too much with the added power and traction.
Good Luck with your project.

Jon Hansen, Hayden Wheels, JrFuel Dragster Association, and Hammer-Hansen-Hook-Ramay JrFuel

dreracecar:
Dennis Murphy is also gets into a lot of shake, Its hard to help when one did not build the car and all you can do is repairs.

hemidakota:
My friend runs 14x32x15 hoosiers on his fed and it will not make a pass without tire shake above 6psi. 5.5psi is the limit. So that said I would not recommend to up the air pressure as for it will get worse with higher pressure. And by worse I mean break every weak link/part on the car. He is going to change slicks due to the shake problem. It has been a struggle for us and the hoosiers... without mistakes we never learn.

JrFuel Hayden:
What kind of FED is your buddy running the 14x32x15 Hoosiers on ?  I think if he is making less than 1200 HP, that tire might be too big, it's hooking up too good and then shakes. Pro Stock run 33x14.5x15, and shift 3 times ??, and run 6.50's at 212-213 mph.
I also wonder is that tire is designed for a race car that shifts more than a PG.  When Goodyear 1'st let me know that they were going to put a number of tires on an "inactive" list, and with no production schedule. So I called all slick manufactures looking for the JrFuel sizes, 31x12x15, lucky for us racers I talked Goodyear into making another batch of the light weight [ 22.6 lb] 31x12x15 tires as long as I gave them a solid order for 150 tires. In my search, Hoosier told my not to run their 32x12x15, because it has a much softer compound and designed for cars that shift more than twice [PG] so they would hook, shift, hook, shift, etc, but a FED with a PG needs to get and keep the tires spinning some so they don't pull the motor down below it's HP range.

Cheers,
Jon

hemidakota:
Yes his dragster is less than 1200 hp. It is a mild steel 185" chassis with a 565 bbc. Leaves at 6200 rpm on the brake, 5800 on the chip. And yes he is looking into different slicks for his fed. Maybe Scott will chime in...Love this site for all the great info. Thanks everyone!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version