Technical > Roo Man's Room

Where can you run??

(1/3) > >>

Countn Carbs:
So I've had in the back of my mind for years about building a little K-88 style dragster with a 302 GMC.

I can't shake it so have come to the realization that it needs to happen.  The picture isn't a K-88 chassis but gives an idea of the route I'm heading.

I have a lead on an aftermarket frame and I'm looking for an answer that I haven't been able to find information on.

1. The chassis I'm looking at is mild steel, 1/8" wall, tig welded and is the K-88 design.  Obviously it won't meet NHRA specs but can I run it at say Meltdown Drags on other specialty events?? If so where??  I'm in Colorado but willing to travel some with it. 

rooman:
It appears that a number of "non compliant" cars have run at the Meltdown drags and there are also still a few unsanctioned tracks around the country that are pretty much run what you brung. I presume that you are more concerned with the "look" of the car but please make the thing safe--proper clutch can or trans shield, modern seat belts and other safety equipment etc.

Roo

Countn Carbs:
Thanks Roo and that is correct.  My plan is to keep the safety items you mentioned current but the frame I'd prefer to leave as is for yes...the look. 

I realize there is a fine line there and I guess I'm trying to find that line.....if there even is one.

I'm still undecided for which tranny but regardless I plan to have up to date safety related items as much as possible. 

George:
Personally I wouldn't consider getting in a car that is obsolete  in its design but to each his own. I plan on a day or two at Byron Meltdown Drags. It is maybe 200 miles for me.  Our car wouldn't be allowed to run because of the Centerline wheels.

Countn Carbs:
Thanks guys.  Certainly the concern is building it and then you have this "new" car that won't pass so you end up with eye candy so to speak.

I was thinking I'd try and figure out what E/T I think it will run and then between the NHRA and SFI guidelines figure out what I'd need to do.  I want a safe car but yet an old looking car and that can be a hard batch to mix.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version