Technical > Roo Man's Room

Who can build a custom size axle?

<< < (3/3)

ricardo1967:
Scott, thanks for posting the final part, it looks great. Has it been filled with lead shots? Is there a 'drain plug' of any sorts? What's the ballast weight of a filled axle? What's the shot gauge?

Bruce, I'll be contacting you for a front axle if I ever need to replace my SPE axle. I have a small suspicion that it may be cracking in the middle (after 40+ years of hard landings). I haven't had a chance to fully inspect it yet.

FEDNV:
I have not filled it yet to see what the weight is.  If you look in my overhead shot you can see my weight box I made bolted to the front of the car and that is filled with shot and weighs around 40 lbs. so my plan was to fill the axle and use the box for extra weight if needed.

My old axle had cracked where the brackets were welded to the tubing and you could not even see it until it finally broke.  After it did you could see it had been cracked for a long time before it failed as it was rusted.  Not very good on a 160 + mph pass.  My car was built in the early 90's so it had some time on it as well.

dreracecar:
I bore the KP boss with a 1/2" hole and put it towards the inside of the axle. Stand the axle up and pour the shot through the KP bore. install spindle and the KP holds the shot in place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version