Technical > Roo Man's Room

Who can build a custom size axle?

(1/3) > >>

FEDNV:
Any recommendations on who could build me a new axle?  I have an odd width and cannot find anything online that is already made so i would need a custom one built.  It is staggered with the left side slightly in front of the right.

thanks
Scott

dreracecar:
No problem for me, just need the drop and KP centerline along with your spindles.

custom 36"- 2" offset- 5'drop - SPE spindles

If you are running an index class I II III, (and because you cant go deep in staging), you want a straight up front axle to stage consistantly, and offset axle opens up a 10" window of shallow or to far in and will affect your times. Too shallow and you will run the tree and lower ET (slow RT) or in too far an your RT decreases but the ET slows. In 7.0 with offset and staging deep (Legal) the front is in the same spot everytime and the track gets shorter

FEDNV:
I wondered why my axle is offset like that and was told by someone along the line it was to help track the car straight.  If that is not the case I guess there is no reason to keep that configuration.  My axle brackets currently do have extra holes drilled for a straight up configuration.

Sent you a PM

rooman:
If the stagger in your front end was produced by simply setting one side of a single plane axle back you can end up with a minor camber issue as both spindles will be rotated relative to the axle axis to be parallel with the longitudinal axis of the car. You don't appear to have a lot of caster so the effect is minimal but it is there. When I first settled in the Indianapolis area some 25 years ago I worked for a local chassis builder and on their a-arm front ends they simply rotated the spindle jig to set the right side back and could not figure out why the wheels both leaned to the left when pointed straight ahead.

Roo

BK:
I was looking at how FEDNV's axle is mounted. It looks like maybe 1/8" plate with 4 3/8's bolts. To me it looks like the plates would act as levers and place a lot of force on those bolts. Am I looking at it right? Would your new design address that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version