Technical > Roo Man's Room

Chassis question

(1/2) > >>

Cajuninjector:
Hey Roo, my name is Brian and I admire your work.  I was wondering, what's your preference on wall thickness and diameter for your chassis in front of the motor for a blown sbc. Do you use different sizes/thicknesses for different chassis lengths or styles?  Thinking about building one myself but want to gather as much info as possible before ordering pipe. I'm pretty ok at tig but welding one of these rails seems like a nightmare. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any info you can share.
Brian

Magic Mike Denton:
Let a professional chassis builder do it. Remember your life is worth every penny spent. Just ask your friends and family.

wideopen231:
Decide what class you want o run and which spec it will need to meet. Call SFI and order spec.It will tell you what you need for each tube.

There is alot to building one but IMO its as much fun as driving one. But  you do not have to have pro chassis shop build it.If your decent fabricator and can weld you can build one.
  Im building one right now.It takes time and lots of tubing. Oh yea if you have money to buy all the tubing at once it will help and save time and money. If you don't get any help with how to proceed email me at wydopn2312@yahoo.com I'll do my best to help.

Chris McBride

rooman:
Brian,
        as Chris recommends, get the SFI spec if you are going to build it yourself, although it only calls out the cockpit area. From the motor forward my frames use a 1.25 x .058 top rail and 1.125 x .058 for the lower. Uprights range from 1" at the front of the motor down to .75 at the sharp end of the chassis.

Roo

Cajuninjector:
Thanks for the info Chris and Roo.  Thanks for your concern Mike but I have built 2 Art Morrison super car kits that i would cut, cope and tack the tube chassis together and had a friend tig it. Both of these cars preformed great. I would like to be the one to do everything and just needed a little info on the pipe from the motor plate forward. I do have SFI specs on the cockpit but from what I understand, "anything goes" up front. Pipe diameter and thickness were my biggest questions. Some use .049 and that kinda worries me. I like the idea of .058
Anyway, thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version