Technical > Roo Man's Room

Mild Steel chassis

(1/3) > >>

bigblockrik:
I found a 145'' wb mild steel car.New but never been finished.Just want something to play around with.Anything i should look for ? Thanks

rooman:
First, it needs to be cheap as it lacks resale value with so many 4130 cars readily available. Second, you need to have it sonic tested to make sure that it meets the specs, and finally you need to make sure that the basic construction layout will pass tech for the performance level that you plan to run it at. The wall thickness is critical as it is impossible to fix while any deficiencies in tube layout can be fixed (although at a cost that may kill the deal).

Roo

FEDNV:
I have a mild steel car and have no issues with mine except I am stuck at 7.50 being the fastest I can go.  I really had no idea what I was getting into when I bought it but nothing wrong with a mild steel chassis if it is cheap and can pass tech.

ricardo1967:
In my case, I'm still not certain whether my nostalgia FED (late 60's, early 70's?) is mild steel or chrome-moly.

dreracecar:

--- Quote from: bigblockrik on February 15, 2015, 02:04:38 PM ---Anything i should look for ? Thanks

--- End quote ---

Possably another chassie,  A chassie is about the cheapset part of the whole package, so why start off with a bad foundation. Moly is not that expensive for that size car verses what one has to go thru for a legal mild steel car.Have it checked out by a NHRA cert tech before wasting any money even if its only a couple hundred dollars.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version