Technical > Roo Man's Room

To build or buy built

<< < (3/6) > >>

dreracecar:
  "OUR"????

JeffV8:
You know he's YOUR buddy Bruce.

alkyal:
I have an actual Hot Rod book that shows how to build many types of cars from the 60 s. Its not 8 1/2 X 11, but smaller. Found it on E-bay some years ago. The dragster that is shown in great detail being constructed is" The Old Master ". Don Long is shown in many pics building the car. Has the actual blueprints in the article. The text of the article is VERY detailed! Shows step by step how the car was layed out on the shop floor. An interesting note;Don didnt bend the tubing for his cars back then. The company he used is named in the write-up! A great amount of detail about how the engine angle was determined and why. Gives details on the finished car as it was first run @ the Strip.That car was a Clutch Can Car-no tranny/no reverser! I compared some of the pics in my book to a few pics in the Hot Rod article, they are one in the SAME.

rooman:
alkyal,
          I have that little paperback as well and it is very informative in a lot of areas. The Don Long Willys build also had a lot of good tip/ideas.

Roo

dreracecar:
The major bends were pre-bent by H&L metals, but there were some bends that Don had to do himself with a torch to heat bend the tubing. Some bend angles were so slight that to bend them on a machine one would have to use a 5 ft dia bending die to keep the bend from crushing at the start. By heating a 6-8 inch area of the tubing and pulling it over by hand give you a non deformed slight bend. Done wrong could wind up a disaster

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version