Technical > Roo Man's Room

support bar cut out

(1/4) > >>

FEDNV:
So after 5 years of driving this car after dropping a motor and trans in it I have taken it completely apart to redo the chassis color and go over the whole car.  Found that one of the support (diagonal bars) was cut out at some point.

I currently do not have anything in the car that would be hindered by this bar.  Could it of been taken out for flex in the chassis as it is really close to the middle?  Should I put another one back in?

Anything I should really look out for while inspecting the chassis?  I was going to have it media blasted so I can really see all the welds.

On another note, what does everyone feel about powder coating the chassis? 
thanks
Scott

dreracecar:
As a shop that does repairs on chassies, you pay more for me to repair it if it has been PC'd and it takes considerable amount of labor to get the repaired area finnish to match back up

FEDNV:
This is on both sides of the chassis if that was unclear.

rooman:
A couple of questions---first, is the car moly or mild?    Looking at the photos the welds look a little like MIG.

second, have you had any chassis flex problems running it the way it is?

Roo

FEDNV:
The chassis is mild and I don't think we have had any flex problems.  I have not broke any transmissions (have stock case glide) or any other parts on the chassis and I do not see any visible cracks as of now.  Kinda why I wanted to have the chassis media blasted so I can really inspect the whole car and welds.  Most of the welds on the car look very cold and look like MIG.  The cage has some updated bars and you can tell those are TIG.

Are there any tell tale signs of a chassis flexing?  Something to look for?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version