Classifieds (Please No Dealers) > Wanted to buy

Blower for SBC

<< < (3/3)

wideopen231:
IMO you are pushing luck if running much boost at all.Gm block and crank with 12:1 and blower.If you feel big bump under butt it could be crank. Anything more than 8 or 10 lbs would worry me with that combo. I would go lower compression with good performance crank and rods. If using GM block I would have  to go to new splayed caps. May be over kill to some,but you are riding behind the engine.

BK:

--- Quote from: dreracecar on October 03, 2014, 08:35:23 AM ---Not that good of an idea. A race blower is set up and clearenced by someone who knows what he is doing. Set up wrong and without hard anodizing and high speed balencing, if the rotors were to touch each other they would gaul and transfer metal between them and create seriuos problems. They can get away with that on the street because the OD persentage is low, not in boost mode for the majority of time and that gasoline acts as a lubricant, My feeling is that it is a recipe for disaster

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the input. I had a feeling that would be the case.

BK:

--- Quote from: wideopen231 on October 03, 2014, 07:05:50 PM ---IMO you are pushing luck if running much boost at all.Gm block and crank with 12:1 and blower.If you feel big bump under butt it could be crank. Anything more than 8 or 10 lbs would worry me with that combo. I would go lower compression with good performance crank and rods. If using GM block I would have  to go to new splayed caps. May be over kill to some,but you are riding behind the engine.

--- End quote ---
Because of what I have to work with I was even thinking I would go to 10 lbs.

ricardo1967:
In other hand... how many hundreds of SBC engines were topped with a 6-71's before specialty block and cranks were made available (or affordable)?

(However, I consider using an aftermarket block for my next SBC, given that the starting price tag ($1.5K) is not too bad considering all the work to prep a production block.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version