Author Topic: Drilling and Tapping an Extra Hole in an AN Fitting  (Read 456 times)

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
Drilling and Tapping an Extra Hole in an AN Fitting
« on: June 18, 2024, 07:13:26 PM »
I'm re-plumbing the fuel pump and lines on my FED and need to install a 1/8" NPT fuel pressure gauge. A really convenient spot would be to drill a hole and tap it for NPT in the side of a 3/8" X AN-6 90 degree elbow. Big question is whether there's enough thickness in the aluminum fitting to get a good seal and not compromise the elbow's strength. We're only talking about 8 or 9 PSI pressure in the fuel system after the regulator. The drill size needed to tap 1/8" NPT is just a tick over 5/16".

I could add another fitting or two to provide a place for the pressure gauge, but I always figure that adding more fittings is just adding places for potential leaks.

Thanks, in advance.

Lynn 

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: Drilling and Tapping an Extra Hole in an AN Fitting
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2024, 08:12:25 AM »
I have about as many modified fittings laying around as factory sitting around. I have drilled and tapped for pipe or another sisz to thread into one. I have number 8 to 4 or 3 so as to run smaller lines. All are standard threads. Id doing a one into anoht a chamfering tool of  nice to have for make seat of o-rings.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot