Technical > Roo Man's Room

Master Cyl?

(1/2) > >>

Blind Mule:
Roo what type M/Cyl do I need for my build not sure if it will have drum or disc? The smaller bore M/Cyl seemed to work better when I had a Rear eng car it had drum brakes and it would stop as good as most of the disc cars!  Not saying drum is better I already have the stuff  :-[

Thanks!

rooman:
Master cylinder size is based on volume needed to move the pistons at the wheels and available leverage to move the piston in the master cylinder.  Disc brake pistons don't move far but they are usually quite large in diameter vs the wheel cylinders in drum brakes. In most cases a 3/4" bore master cylinder will do the job provided that the pedal/lever ratio is correct.

Roo

Blind Mule:
Thanks ;)

BK:
Can I expand on this question? Is there any advantage to using a remote reservoir as opossed to the 1 piece master cylinder/reservoir combo. If I,m right you use the weight of the fluid in the remote style to keep the pucks where you want them. I was thinking the residuel pressure valve you use with the 1 peice unit may create more brake drag than the other.

janjon:
For what it's worth my low-mounted integral Wilwood master cylinder with RPV, and Wilwood calipers, seems to show no drag associated with it. The brakes work fine and the wheels spin freely when the pedal is up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version